Jul 20, 2018

Introduction

Hello and welcome to this tutorial!


I’m a student currently finishing my education at the Dutch school of arts. My passion lies in 3D modeling and particularly in modeling environments and assets. 

Sometimes you are working in a very small team or alone and your project consists of several environments. Those environments seem to be very different but very often they represent the same basic environment changed or transformed due to the project requirement or condition. In that case reusing of the assets will be very helpful and will spare your time and energy.

In this tutorial I will share some techniques for translating different emotional states into the same 3D environment. This method helps to show a range of states. I used it working at the project where one of the goal was to demonstrate how human emotions can change perception of regular environment.

As an example I will take two emotions - anxiety and depression and as a basic object ( environment to be changed) – a student room. In both variants I used two slightly different methods. For future reference I call them “Non-deformed” and “Deformed” techniques. The key aspects of the effects creation are: color palette(materials and shaders); lighting(placement, intensity, color); point of view(camera angle); post-processing effects.

In order to follow this tutorial you need theory basis and experience with 3D modeling. For creation of my models I used Autodesk Maya but any software of this sort will work equally. It will be very helpful if you have knowledge about game engines. I used Unity for creation of atmosphere. To enliven the scene I added the first person controller.

If you have any questions or comments I will be always happy to hear it . So, lets start!

No comments:

Post a Comment